Since 2009, McCarty and a team of VT students developed and implemented Actively Caring for People programs for elementary, middle and high school students while earning undergraduate and graduate degrees at Virginia Tech. In 2014, McCarty co-founded the Cor Foundation to continue developing, implementing and evaluating these programs. After years of development and evaluation, the Cor Foundation has released an improved Actively Caring program for middle school, high school and college student Fellows.
College and University Partners
Articles on Actively Caring
- Orange High School students aim to pay it forward after bomb threats
- Chardon High School leadership students healing after a school shooting
- Berkshire High School students participate in summer leadership retreat to improve school climate
- Ridgedale High School students empower freshmen to stop rumors and improve culture
- Streetsboro High School students attend Actively Caring for Ohio conference
- Centreville High School leadership students recognize kindness during bullying awareness week
- Vermilion High School students are more powerful together as upstanders to stop bullying
Map of Partners
With the support of colleges/ universities and community-based partners, we have delivered school-based programs to numerous middle and high schools.